Friday, September 10, 2010

marriage? oh yea. that thing that everybody's doing now.

Maybe it's just me and the small corner of the world that I live in, but it seems like EVERYONE is getting married or is already.  I realize that I just graduated college and that's what people do when they are "madly" in love with one another.  I said "madly" because I question the thoughtfulness of some couples to jump in and not get through the honeymoon, I think you're simply wonderful stage.

I also realize this whole post is my criticism because as we all know I am the perpetual single girl whose last two serious boyfriends got married to the girl they started dating after me, yes, true story.  Who is to say that if the roles were not reversed I would be telling you about my new wonderful husband. However I'd like to think that I've learned enough from failure to not jump into the deep end first, but once again who can be so sure?

All the wedding planning, dress shopping, cake tasting, invite mailing, and shower throwing mayhem has got me thinking about divorce and the huge commitment that is marriage.  Many of the people I know haven't even been with the one they're with for over a year before they have decided to take the plunge.  While I am so happy for my loved ones, I still hope they've thought about the marriage and not the wedding.  In our society it's easy to get caught up in everything for the moment and not think for the long run.  This is a marathon here people, not a sprint, so stop being Usain Bolt out there and start being more like Betty White.

Stop racing to the alter and start sauntering.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree! I wrote a blog about this a while back too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently wrote a blog on this. I think it's funny how we are all kind on the same page.. Even all miles away from each other. And yes, I was stalking your blog. Love you.

    ReplyDelete