Thursday, October 21, 2010

family ties.

I am so blessed in so many ways and I think I am realizing what really matters.  People matter and honestly nothing else.  My family and friends are my lifeline and without them I would be lost body and soul.  I realize that others may not have this relationship with their relatives or chosen family but maybe that says something about where we are headed as a people.

Our society spends so much time trying to get ahead at work, put money in the bank, and rushing from one problem to the next but at what cost?  What are we sacrificing or putting off in order to "get ahead"?  We have become so consumed with looking around the next corner that we can't see the street in front of us.  Many diverse groups raise their children as a whole and look after each child as if he/she was their own flesh.  That is what we are missing, the very sense of community in its purest form.  Take the Amish for example, in their culture every family eats together, attends church, and even raises a barn in an afternoon if one member of the community needs it to be done. And when their parents get too old to live alone, they build an annex onto their house for them not out of guilt, but respect.  I realize that they are religiously tied to their ideals and sense of community but I think we could all learn a lesson from them.  They are just one example, there are others in every corner of the world.

Maybe we all need to take a breath, love each other, and spend time together instead of working so much overtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment